“God, our Creator, has stored within our minds and personalities, great potential strength and ability. Prayer helps us tap and develop these powers.” – A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
No matter which religion we come from, in the olden days, prayers were common in many homes. Our grandparents and parents taught us to pray to God. They religiously followed prayer timings and made prayer part of their daily life. Some of them were so strict that they did not even eat food without praying to God. They did not go out for any work without offering their gratitude to the divine. Such was the belief of our parents and grandparents in prayers and God.
Coming to the current scenario, not many of us are passionate about praying to God. We don’t take time to connect with God or pray to the divine. Maybe, we pray on festivals and during tough times or special occasions in life, but God is not part of daily life for many people of the current generation.
So, why should we pray every day? Why should God and divinity become part of our daily life? Here are some pointers on praying.
11 reasons why prayer is important
1. One can call God by various names like divinity or creator, or source or universe. It does not matter what we call, but the truth is there is an infinite source of creation behind this world. In this world, there are crores of unique species and billions of unique human beings. How can so much of uniqueness be created? Only God can do it. God is the powerhouse of endless creativity. When we pray and connect to God, we tap into this infinite creativity, and we get new ideas to solve our daily life issues. Our prayers give us solutions.
2. Our body has so much of intelligence. Cells function on their own without our instructions. Various life processes happen on their own. Not only our body but the entire nature operates with great levels of intelligence. We see intelligence in ants, trees, insects, animals, and humans. No one taught this intelligence to our body or those little ants. Yet, this intelligence operates with great efficiency. Source of this intelligence is God. When we pray, we connect with the intelligence aspect of God and draw this intelligence into our body, mind, and spirit.
3. There is great power in our body, emotions, thoughts, and words. Each one of us can make a great difference to the world. It is the divine power which keeps running our body, mind, and spirit every day. When we connect with the divine, we draw greater levels of power into our thoughts, emotions, words, and body and can do bigger tasks that positively impact the world.
4. God is a mix of three major qualities – love, intelligence, and power. These three qualities are needed by all of us for good health, prosperity, peace, harmonious relationships in life. When we pray to God, these qualities of God flow into us and enrich us.
5. God is the source of strength. In life, not all situations go as we plan, and sometimes, we need to face failures and disappointments. When we connect with God, we are filled with the inner strength to face life as it is. This inner strength helps us to stay strong in tough times and also helps us overcome difficulties.
6. We all have an aura around us. Our aura is the sum of our thoughts, emotions, and energies. When we pray wholeheartedly, our aura becomes clean, big, and strong. Such kind of aura gives many benefits like clarity of thinking, inner peace, better immunity, right decision making etc.
7. Many people pray to God in troubled times and expect God to do miracles like solving their problems. But we need to understand that God gives us ideas, strength, intelligence to solve our problems, and it’s our duty to act on these ideas. God has given us body, mind, and spirit so that we can create the life we desire. God cannot directly come and remove all the problems in our life when we are sleeping lazily or watching TV. God can only give us opportunities, and it’s our duty to act on these opportunities.
8. Some people pray to God out of fear, thinking something wrong will happen in life if they don’t pray. God is all kind and loving. Fear blocks us from receiving the positive energies from God. So, fear needs to be replaced with love. When we replace fear with love, gratitude, and understanding, our prayers become effective and transformational.
9. Sometimes, unknowingly, we get lost in negative thoughts and emotions. When we pray to God daily, the divine energy flushes out these negativities and fills us with positivity.
10. In handling daily circumstances, we get drained of energies. God or source is like a recharge point that recharges us spiritually. So praying is like having a spiritual shower that recharges our spirit and prepares us for the day.
11. God is an infinite source of energy, and it is a smart thing to tap into this infinity every day. It is foolish to ignore such infinite energy, which is readily available for us to guide in our daily lives with no extra cost.
These are some pointers on prayers. So how to pray to God? Every religion has its unique way of praying, and there are many books on this topic. You can choose any of these ways to pray. Here is the simplest way of praying to God for beginners.
1. Sit in a comfortable position.
2. Do a few rounds of deep breathing and calm down your thoughts and emotions.
3. Think of God in any form you like.
4. Pray wholeheartedly. In this prayer, you can express gratitude to God for many blessings in your life. You can ask for guidance and blessings. You can ask God to fill you with positive qualities like hard-working nature, kindness, compassion, intelligence, etc. If something is bothering you, put it at the feet of the divine, and ask for guidance. You can use any mantras if you know, or you can simply pray in whatever language you are comfortable with.
5. You can end your prayer by asking God to stay in your thoughts, emotions, words, and actions throughout the day.
This is the simplest form of prayer you can practice in your life anytime. Below are some more pointers to make prayer effective.
1. Light a diya or a lamp using cold-pressed oil or cow ghee. Don’t use poor quality oil sold in markets as it defeats the purpose of lighting the diya. Cow ghee is the best as it has golden energies. When diya is lit with cow ghee and prayers are added, these golden energies mixed with divine energies are diffused in the home, and they enhance the positivity of the home. Cold-pressed oils are also effective.
2. You can offer something to God as an act of gratitude. It could be as simple as a fruit or a flower or a food item.
3. It does not matter how long or how much you pray. What matters is how aware you are while praying. Pray with total awareness. Be in the present moment and pray wholeheartedly.
4. If possible, maintain the same time and the same place every day. This makes your prayer more effective.
5. Pray twice a day.
6. Make prayer part of your daily routine.
These are the various pointers on praying. Tune into the abundant, infinite power called God every day and enrich your life. Simple prayers add a new dimension to your life. Pray in all seasons and make the most out of your life. God always loves us, whether we pray or not. God is so kind and loving that God respects our free will and does not interfere in our life unless we ask for help. So, it is up to us to use our free will and pray and tap into this infinite reservoir of creativity, intelligence, power, and love.
“Prayer is not an old woman’s idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.” – Mahatma Gandhi