There are 6 categories in our life which we need to focus on and constantly improve for a happy life. All these 6 categories are inter-related to each other. When we make progress in one category, automatically, the other 5 categories also improve to a certain extent. Similarly, when we neglect any one category, the other 5 categories are also negatively affected to a certain extent. The fourth category out of these 6 categories is relationships.
We are connected to other people in our life through various relationships like – parents, in-laws, spouse, children, siblings, relatives, grandparents, friends, etc. These relationships bring us joy and meaning and help us develop qualities like patience, love, and trust. At the end of the day, we all look for meaningful relationships in our life.
Apart from our relationship with others, there is one more relationship that shapes our life and impacts us tremendously. Its relationship with our own self. The first step to loving the world is loving ourselves. When we are constantly criticizing ourselves for our mistakes and feeling guilty, we miss seeing many good qualities in us and wonderful blessings in our life. Developing a healthy relationship with ourselves is as important as developing a healthy relationship with others.
So, let us create a plan to nurture, strengthen and improve all these relationships in our life with the below 4 steps.
1. Create empowering beliefs: Your beliefs shape your reality. Your beliefs determine how joyful your relationships are in your life. So, creating empowering beliefs about your relationships is the first step on your journey. With negative beliefs in place, even the best of the relationship strategies fail because your own beliefs stop you from achieving the results. Ask yourself what your negative beliefs about relationships category are and also be aware of your conversations and thoughts to find your negative limiting beliefs. Once you find your negative beliefs, remove and replace them with positive, empowering beliefs.
Below are some examples of empowering beliefs about relationships category, which you can create in your life.
1. I am destined for fantastic relationships.
2. I am surrounded by trustworthy and loving people.
3. I enjoy my relationships.
4. It’s fun and awesome to have different relationships in life.
5. I forgive myself quickly and learn from my mistakes.
6. I value and nourish different relationships in my life.
7. I have time for relationships.
8. I cherish and accept myself as I am.
2. Create a vision: Understand what you want to achieve in the relationships category. Understand your heart’s desires for this category. Don’t think whether achieving your goals is feasible or not. For a moment, think that you can achieve anything you want in your life and ask yourself questions like below.
1. How does it feel to have a great relationship with my spouse?
2. How does it feel to be an outstanding parent?
3. How does it feel to be trustworthy in relationships?
4. How does it feel to become a role model for my children?
5. How does it feel to care for others?
Take some time and find your answers to the above questions. Once you have your answers, write down your vision statement as if it already happened. A clear vision, which is written like it already happened, helps you in tuning your subconscious mind and achieving better results. Below are some examples of vision statements for the relationships category.
1. All my relationships are harmonious and joyful.
2. I accept others as they are.
3. I have an outstanding relationship with my spouse.
4. I enjoy being myself.
5. I am a fantastic parent.
6. My parents are proud of me.
3. Understand your purpose behind your vision: In this step, list down all your reasons why you want your relationships to be outstanding. Understand why you want to achieve what you want. The important point is that your reasons should excite and inspire you. You can list down some reasons like below, which resonate with you.
1. Happy relationships make my life awesome.
2. I enjoy giving my best to the people around me.
3. I love to be trusted and admired.
4. I enjoy loving and being loved in return.
5. I want to become a role model for my children.
6. I want my family to be happy.
Take some time and write down all the reasons why you want to work on your relationships. The stronger your reasons are, the better will be your commitment to your vision.
4. Create your action plan: Any goal can be achieved only when it has a concrete action plan. Create a massive action plan that gives you outstanding results. Your plan should be such that you should be able to follow your action steps even when you are busy, and your days are packed. Your schedules should not become an excuse or obstacle in achieving your goals. Some examples of the action items you can plan to do are as below.
1. I will practice mindfulness during my actions and words.
2. I will prioritize my schedule to give enough time to my family.
3. I will take the time to appreciate my family.
4. I will openly communicate with my spouse.
5. I will take the time to connect with my spouse.
6. I will spend time with my children and nurture them every day.
7. I will learn from my mistakes.
Write down all your action items and refer to this article “10 steps to achieve your goals”. This article will help you plan your action steps in such a way that you can practice them even on a busy day.
Once you have all these 4 steps in place, it becomes a cakewalk for you to achieve your goals related to relationships. Most of the time, we don’t take relationships in our life seriously till relationship challenges arise. We can minimize relationship challenges and experience the bliss of relationships when we work on them regularly in a systematic way.
So, take time and create these 4 steps for one of the most important aspects of your life – your relationships. They are very precious.
Take action now, and achieve what your heart desires.