Diet and Nutrition
Today, we live in the era of diet, nutrition and many have become health conscious. We hear many celebrities and models follow stringent diets where they stop having carbohydrates and focus more on protein or vitamins.
For many of us, our work and other duties take away most of our time, while we are conscious of our diet we are unable to regulate it in order for it to make a difference in our lives.
Drastic dieting practices are never suggested, people either do it because of health purposes or to be in the show business. If you are not in either of them, you should not change your diet drastically even if you are obese. It has to be reduced and modified by a certified dietician or nutritionist who will guide you to a healthy, happy and a secure life.
Do’s and Don’ts
Now, here is a list of do’s and don’ts that you can follow for a healthy and happy diet regime
- Your diet has to be drafted based on your age, health conditions, suitability and body constitution.
- You have to visit a nutritionist and a certified one to decide your diet plan.
- Your diet has to encompass carbohydrates, fats, proteins and vitamins.
- You have to educate yourself on the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables.
- You have to learn the calorie value of the dishes you have approximately.
- You should roughly be around your Body Mass Index (BMI)
- You have to maintain a good physical regime.
- You have to have at least 4-5 cheat days every month.
- You can include your staple food like rice/roti in measured quantity.
- You have to regulate your food habits as per your routine.
- You have to eat your meals on time.
- You can include products like ghee in measured quantities as it is good for you.
- You can eat cereals, oats and nuts for your breakfast as a healthy food option.
- You have to measure your food before eating.
- You can eat at functions and weddings provided you make up for it in the future diet plan.
- You can visit a dietician even if you don’t have any health issues to regulate your diet and remove the unhealthy aspects in order to evade any possible problem.
- Do not follow diets that are given online without a doctor’s consultation.
- Do not take up diet regimes that promise you 5 kg weight loss or 10 kg weight loss in 2 or 3 weeks. What after that? You’ll gain weight more than before.
- Do not extend your cheat days to a week.
- Do not follow multiple diet regimes, stick to a single one.
- Do not have a few heavy meals instead have many light meals.
- Do not ignore exercising, a diet without exercise will not help.
- Do not crash diet, that will work against your favor in the longer run.
- Do not be harsh on yourself, if any diet is giving you fatigue or dizziness consult a doctor and fix it immediately.
- Do not ignore medical check ups every 6 months if you are 40+ and every three months if you are 60+.
- Do not use or consume any product excessively.
- Do not have packaged foods. Try ignoring it as much as you can and read the ingredients list on the backside of the product.
- Do not postpone your meals because of work or other reasons.
- Do not binge eat or use that habit as a stress buster.
- Do not eat food from unhygienic places.
- Do not eat at late hours in the night or midnight.
- Do not skip your breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day.
Food and mental health
Those were a few do’s and don’ts which if followed will give us guidance to a healthy lifestyle. Food isn’t just important for our body but also for our mind. The kind of food and the amount of food we eat decides our mood and state of mental well being. If you are constantly eating junk in higher quantities, your mind is going to be turbulent and disturbed accordingly. At the same time if you are consuming well cooked nutritious food, your mind will be happy and free of disturbance because your body also is peaceful. Everything in the human body is interconnected and so every small habit of ours can bring a lot of difference in our entire system. Understand that food is essential for life, consume it only as much as your body needs. Your body always gives out alarms, recognise the alarms and understand yourself, then you’re sure to lead a healthy life, you’ll be able to keep yourself happy and the others around will be equally content.