We all love cosmetics. Those lipsticks, toners, foundation, and face powders fascinate and attract even a child to play with them, and undoubtedly, these cosmetics enhance the beauty of a person. These cosmetics bring joy and excitement to a routine, normal day, and all of us have our own favorite brands for cosmetics. Cosmetics are not modern-day inventions. They are part of our ancient tradition and culture. In fact, cosmetology and the art of fine make-up was one of the 64 fine arts which were called ‘Chatusshashti Kala’ in Sanskrit. Not only in India, but the art of make-up can be found in other ancient cultures like Egypt, Greece, China too.
Before the advent of chemicals, natural ingredients were used to enhance one’s beauty. People used flowers, roots, leaves, and stems of various plants, dairy products like milk, curd, butter and ghee, honey, beeswax, rosewater, oils, flours like gram flour to enhance their beauty. These cosmetics not only promoted their physical beauty but also promoted their physical, emotional, and mental health. Application of these cosmetics resulted in relaxation and rejuvenation of body and mind. Usage of these cosmetics was interwoven with seasonal changes and everyday routine life. Their usage is celebrated and carefully planned based on seasonal changes.
Times have changed now. In current times, markets are flooded with chemicals that cost very less than natural ingredients. These chemicals can be produced in bulk quantities easily with less effort and less time. This proliferation of chemicals led to their excessive usage, and eventually, they found their way into the cosmetics industry. Today, most of the popular cosmetic brands in the market are loaded with harmful and toxic chemicals. The natural ingredients used in the past don’t find a place in most of the cosmetic brands.Even the cosmetics that have labels of herbal and natural are also loaded with harmful chemicals. The labels herbal and natural are only for name sake and don’t mean anything natural.
Below are 10 commonly used harmful chemicals in these modern-day cosmetics.
1. Parabens – These are used as preservatives in cosmetics to increase their shelf life. These are found in more than 80% of the cosmetics like lotions, lipsticks, skin creams, shampoos, etc.
2. SLS/SLES – These stand for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate. These are used as foaming agents in shampoos, lotions, and creams.
3. Synthetic fragrance sometimes labeled as parfum or fragrance – This is commonly used in perfumes, wipes, lotions, air fresheners, etc. to add fragrance.
4. Lead – This is used as a coloring dye in lipsticks.
5. Oxybenzone – This is widely used in sunscreens lotions.
6. Phthalates – These are used in nail polishes, hair sprays, and fragrances.
7. Triclosan – This is commonly used in soaps, body washes, deodorants, etc.
8. Formaldehyde – This is used in cosmetics like nail polish, deodorant, shampoo, etc.
9. Hydroquinone – This is found in skin-lightening products, cleansers, and moisturizers.
10. BAC – This stands for Benzalkonium chloride and is used commonly in eyeliner and mascara
These are some of the toxic chemicals used. Apart from these, there are some more chemicals like petroleum, AHA, BHA, Ammonia, Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate, methylisothiazolinone, coal tar, ethoxylated surfactants, mercury, mineral oil, chromium, arsenic, etc. which are widely used. It will be surprising to know that there are more than 12,000 chemicals that are used in the cosmetic industry. So, what’s wrong with using harmful cosmetics with all these chemicals?
There are no government regulations on the usage of these chemicals in cosmetics. No government regulation means that any kind of chemicals can be used in cosmetics. Since there are no regulations, toxic chemicals are used liberally in the making of harmful cosmetics, and below are the long-term issues seen with these toxic chemical-loaded cosmetics.
8 issues seen due to the usage of toxic chemical-loaded cosmetics:
1. These products do more harm than good to the skin. They damage skin and cause skin allergies. They deteriorate skin health.
2. They damage hair and result in hair loss, dandruff, premature graying of hair.
3. Many of these harmful cosmetics are cancer-causing chemicals.
4. These products impact reproductive health. Many of us don’t expect this because we think we are only applying cosmetics on our skin and hair. But all these chemicals applied on skin are directly absorbed by the body, and they seep into the body, causing issues like infertility.
5. They promote premature aging. The purpose of using cosmetics is to enhance one’s beauty, but this purpose is defeated in the long run due to the presence of harmful chemicals.
6. They cause hormonal imbalances like thyroid issues, irregular menstrual cycles, etc.
7. They cause headaches.
8. They are harmful to eyes.
These are the reasons why we should avoid using such harmful cosmetics. Most of these products loaded with toxic chemicals are harmful to the entire body and not just skin and hair. They are also negatively impacting the environment and ecological balance due to the amount of toxicity they are carrying.
So, it is highly recommended to choose toxic chemical-free cosmetics. These chemical-free cosmetics are healthier on the skin and body and also promote the happiness and well-being of a person. They are good for your skin, hair, body, and the ecological balance as well. They are free of all the above toxic chemicals. These cosmetics give you not only short-term benefits but also long term benefits.
Chemical-free cosmetics are made from essential oils and products extracted from plants. They contain herbs and safe substances that can be used on skin, hair, and body. These products might be costlier than the popular brand you are using. They are costlier because natural ingredients cost more than toxic chemicals.But it’s worth investing in these safe and healthy products because your health and well-being matters. You deserve this good care! When you use these products, you not only take good care of yourself but also contribute to a better environment and ecological balance.
There are some brands really doing good job in making sure that their products are free from toxic chemicals. So, check out these products and make that switch from toxic chemical-loaded cosmetics to chemical-free cosmetics. Choose beauty that comes with health.
Take care! Wish you all the beauty, health, and peace!