There are many simple practices that can add great value to our daily lives. Sometimes, we overlook these simple practices due to their simplicity and ease. Oil pulling is sone such practice that is overlooked because of its simplicity. Oil Pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that offers multiple benefits for health. It is simple to practice and yet powerful. In this article, let us understand how to practice oil pulling and its benefits.
How to practice oil pulling?
On an empty stomach, take a tablespoon of oil and swish in your mouth for 10 to 20 minutes. Practice this before brushing your teeth.
Below are some pointers on practicing oil pulling.
1. Start with 5 minutes and gradually increase the time to 20 minutes.
2. Never swallow the oil into the stomach. After swishing the oil for some time in the mouth, it collects all the toxins from the mouth. So, discard this oil by spitting it out. Don’t spit the oil in the washbasin or toilet as oil can clog the drains. Spit it in a trash can.
3. Do oil pulling only on an empty stomach.
4. You can use any kind of oil like coconut oil or groundnut oil or sesame oil or olive oil. Make sure that the oil you are using is cold-pressed oil. Cold-pressed oils are free from toxic chemicals.
5. Refined oils come with many harmful chemicals. The purpose of oil pulling is to remove the toxins from the mouth. So, when refined oil is used, this purpose will be lost. So, avoid using refined oils for oil pulling.
6. All oils have their unique properties and are beneficial as long as they are cold-pressed or virgin. However, many people like the taste of coconut oil. So, it is easier to do oil pulling with coconut oil. Also, coconut oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and antioxidant properties, which makes it more beneficial and the best oil for oil pulling. Check out this cold-pressed coconut oil.
7. While doing oil pulling, you can take a gentle walk or read a book or do your daily chores at home.
8. You can also add a drop of peppermint or lemon essential oil to a tablespoon of oil for enhanced flavor.
How does oil pulling work?
Oil pulling brings several benefits. But before we know the benefits, let us understand how it works. Our mouth plays an important role in our health. We eat food using the mouth and teeth. Day in and day out, plaque is formed on our teeth and tongue. Plaque is a thin yellow film, and it contains mucus, bacteria, and food particles. This plaque is partially removed when we brush and floss our teeth. But it still stays beneath the gums and corners of the teeth. No amount of brushing and flossing can remove it completely.
When this plaque stays in our mouth, it becomes toxic and becomes home for harmful microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, etc. This toxic material gets mixed up with the food we eat and reaches our stomach causing various health issues. Our body’s energy is spent in fighting these toxins and microorganisms invited by these toxins.
When oil pulling is done, oil pulls out the plaque and all the toxins from the mouth. Oil pulling can do this job because oil is sticky, and toxins are fat-soluble. When our mouth is free of toxins, the food we eat reaches the stomach without toxins. Our body can focus on better things instead of fighting these toxins in the mouth and stomach.
So, this is how oil pulling works and gives us many benefits.
9 Benefits of oil pulling
Oil pulling offers several benefits. It works as a daily detox for the body. Below are some benefits of oil pulling that are experienced when oil pulling is practiced regularly.
1. Improved oral health: Having strong and healthy teeth is important. Oil pulling acts as an excellent oral routine. Teeth become white and healthy. Gums become healthy. It helps in preventing tooth decay. Dental problems come down.
2. Reduces bad breath: Bad breath is quite uncomfortable. There are many causes for bad breath, but one major cause is poor oral health. Oil pulling reduces bad breath.
3. Reduces pains in the body: Oil pulling is found to reduce body pains. It is found to be beneficial in healing arthritis. It can help reduce the swelling in joints and bones.
4. Strengthens immunity: Oil pulling improves the body’s immunity. With lesser toxins, the body has better strength and immunity to fight. Strong immunity is very important to protect ourselves from flus and viruses.
5. Helps in migraine: Oil pulling is found to be beneficial for people suffering from migraines.
6. Better digestion: When the food reaches the stomach without any toxins,it leads to better nutrient absorption and better digestion.
7. Better skin: Skin’s health is impacted by the toxins present in our body. When these toxins are reduced, skin’s health becomes better, and skin issues like acne come down. Oil pulling also leads to glowing and healthy facial skin.
8. Better sleep: Oil pulling is also found to improve the quality of sleep.
9. Improvement in overall health: This simple practice of oil pulling is like a daily detox for the body where harmful toxins are removed from the body every day. This leads to improved overall health like better stamina, strong immunity against seasonal flus, better digestion, etc.
These are the 9 benefits of oil pulling.
A survey was conducted in 1996 about the effectiveness and benefits of Oil Pulling, in which 1041 people participated. In this survey, 89% of the participants reported that they were cured of one or more diseases because of practicing oil pulling every day. Number of cases which reported benefit are as below.
Pains in the body – 758 cases
Allergy and respiratory problems like asthma etc. – 191 cases
Skin problems – 171 cases
Digestive system – 155 cases
Constipation – 110 cases
Heart ailments – 74 cases
This survey proves that oil pulling offers several benefits to our health. 89% of the participants reporting some benefit out of oil pulling is quite a big number.Oil pulling is one of the most effective tools that can be practiced in less time. Anyone can practice this tool right from the comfort of home with only one ingredient and reap the benefits. So, make oil pulling part of your daily morning routine and reap the benefits.
Wish you good health!