Many of us think vitamins are important only for physical health, but vitamin deficiency is one of the reasons for depression, mood swings, and anxiety. In recent times, vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiencies have become common, and we see such deficiencies all around us. Let us understand today all about vitamins – like what are they, various types of vitamins, signs of their deficiency, and how to maintain healthy vitamin levels.
What are vitamins? Vitamins are a group of substances that are needed in small quantities for normal cell function, growth, and development. They enable us to function normally and stay healthy not only physically but also emotionally and mentally. There are 13 essential vitamins that are needed by our body. They are as below.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B
complex which comprises of
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B7
- Vitamin B9
- Vitamin B12
What are vitamin deficiencies? Vitamin deficiencies happen when the amount of vitamin present in the body is less than the recommended level that is needed for the healthy functioning of the body. Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies are common deficiencies happening in recent times. Vitamin deficiencies occur due to improper and nutritionally deficient diet and improper lifestyle like not getting exposed to Sun, disturbed circadian rhythms, an insufficient sleep, etc.
Below are 24 symptoms of vitamin deficiency.
1. Chronic fatigue and tiredness where a person is not able to do even the minimum daily chores. When this happens to a person, the person thinks it is laziness and daily life stress that are causing fatigue and tiredness. Vitamin deficiencies, too, can cause such a state of tiredness.
2. Brittle hair and nails
3. Muscle pains
4. Muscle weakness
5. Tingling sensations in hands and feet
6. Mouth ulcers
7. Dry, scaly skin
8. Bleeding gums
9. Frequent nosebleeds
11. Hair loss
13. Increase in heart rate
14. Shortness of breath
15. Burning sensation in feet
16. Bone pains
17. Deterioration in night vision
19. Muscle cramping
20. Cracks in the corners of the mouth
21. Depression – yes, depression. One of the causes of depression is vitamin deficiency. So, if you are going through depression, please get your vitamin levels tested.
24. Mood swings
These are some signs of vitamin deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies affect not only the physical functioning of the body but also the emotional and psychological well-being of a person. Healthy levels of vitamins are important for physical, emotional, mental health. If you are experiencing any signs mentioned above, please get your vitamin levels tested – especially vitamin D and B12.
Long term vitamin deficiencies lead to weakened immunity, and several diseases like anemia, digestion problems, pregnancy complications, nervous system disorders, bone and tooth decay, less fertility, non-clotting of blood, infections, etc. So, don’t ignore vitamin deficiencies. It’s very important to get them corrected. The good news is correcting your vitamin levels is easy with medical help.
How to maintain healthy levels of vitamins in the body
1. The first step in maintaining healthy vitamin levels is to know your current state of vitamins. You can get your vitamin levels tested in a hospital or a diagnostic center. Based on your test results, with the help of a doctor, you can take corrective measures and bring vitamins to healthy levels in the body.
2. Take a well balanced and nutritious diet. Include lots of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds in your daily diet. Consult a good nutritionist to chalk out a healthy diet plan that suits your body and lifestyle.
3. Take probiotics like curd in your daily diet.This is good for your digestion and also for vitamin B12.
4. Avoid packaged, processed foods loaded with preservatives and chemicals.
5. Expose yourself to morning Sunlight, especially during the time of Sunrise.
6. Involve in any physical activity every day. Physical activities help your body absorb the nutrients in foods.
7. Sleep well and for a sufficient amount of time.
8. Consult a good doctor and take vitamin supplements. Many times, food alone cannot provide the required levels of vitamins to the body. Supplementing a healthy diet with vitamin supplements is important.
Some information about vitamins
Below is some information about the essential vitamins in our body. All the vitamins are important, and any vitamin deficiency leads to health issues.
Vitamin A: Having healthy levels of vitamin A is essential for the below functions of the body
1. Eye vision
4. Proper functioning of heart, lungs, kidneys
5. Healthy skin
Vitamin C: Adequate levels of Vitamin C are important for the below functions of the body
1. Growth, development, and repair of all bodily tissues
2. Absorption of iron
4. Healing of the wounds
5. Maintenance of cartilage, bones, teeth
Vitamin D: This vitamin plays an important role in the below functions of the body.
1. Normal growth and development of bones and teeth
2. Regulation of the amount of calcium and phosphorous in the boday which plays an important role in bone health
Vitamin E: This vitamin is an antioxidant that protects cells from damage caused by unstable molecules called free radicals. It plays an important role in the below body functions.
3. Muscle repair after exercise
4. Regulation of a variety of body processes such as blood pressure and muscle contraction
Vitamin K: This vitamin plays an important role in the below body functions
1. Blood clotting
2. Regulating calcium levels
3. Bone metabolism
Vitamin B Complex: This is a group of 8 vitamins from B1 to B12. Each of these 8 vitamins plays an important role in the normal functioning of the body. These vitamins play an important role in the below functions of the body.
1. Health of cells
2. Growth of red blood cells
4. Brain functioning
5. Production of hormones
6. Cardiovascular health
8. Healthy appetite
9. Conversion of food to energy
10. Nervous system functioning
12. Healthy iron levels in body
These are the various essential vitamins that are present in our body.
Don’t ignore those signs of vitamin deficiencies. Act on them with a sense of priority.Take good care of the vitamin levels in your body and stay healthy, happy, strong.
Wish you and your family health and peace.