Acne is a problem commonly faced by many people, especially when they are in their teens. 8 out of 10 teenagers get acne. This is due to the hormonal changes seen during teenage. Once people cross teen years, acne start going away. However, some adults too experience acne. Though acne is a common skin problem, it is uncomfortable, and everyone wants to get rid of acne as soon as possible.
There are various types of acne like blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, cysts, and they can occur on the face, neck, chest, upper back, and shoulders. Acne occurs when the skin pores are blocked with oil, dead skin, bacteria, dirt, etc. Below are some factors which cause acne.
1. Hormonal changes
2. Certain medicines
3. Poor diet, which includes a lot of oily foods
5. Insufficient intake of water
So, how to clear acne? Here are 12 ways that can help you clear acne and have a healthy skin.
1. Hydrate yourself – Drink a lot of water throughout the day. Water helps in flushing out the dirt and toxins from your skin and also balances the oil and water content of the skin. It keeps your skin hydrated and prevents it from becoming dry. When skin becomes dry, there are higher chances of getting acne.
2. Don’t prick acne – Even if there is just one little pimple on your face, your entire attention goes there, and you feel like pricking it. Pricking an acne only makes it worse. When you puncture an acne, the bacteria and dirt come out of the acne and spread to the nearby skin. So, when you prick a pimple, temporarily, it may look better, but it will only lead to more acne.
3. Add more vegetables to your diet – Vegetables are loaded with antioxidants and many other nutrients like vitamins and minerals essential for skin health. So, increase your intake of vegetables. Below are some ways to add more vegetables to your diet.
1. Eat salads.
2. Prepare curries that are less spicy and eat a greater quantity of curry with rice or roti.
3. Drink smoothies.
4. Steam the vegetables and consume them.
4. Cut down fried foods – Fried foods like samosas, pakodas, french fries are harmful to the skin and the entire body. So, completely cut down these fried foods from your diet. When foods are deep-fried in oil, they become toxic and harmful.
5. Exercise regularly – Dedicate at least 30 minutes of your day to some form of exercise. When you exercise, your body gets a chance to release the toxins from the body. Exercise also reduces stress, and this will have a positive impact on stress-induced acne.
6. Use healthy cosmetics – Many cosmetics available in the stores are filled with harmful chemicals that are unhealthy to skin. Carefully read the labels on your cosmetics and study them thoroughly before you apply on your skin. Don’t be carried away by the advertisements which promise you beautiful skin. Use only those cosmetics which are free from preservatives and harmful chemicals like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, etc. These chemicals not only damage your skin, but they also enter into your body through the skin pores and negatively impact your overall health.
7. Avoid toxic chemical loaded soaps – Be mindful of the soap you are using to wash your face. There are high chances that your soap may have toxic chemicals. Replace it with gram flour or some mild soap, which is free of harsh chemicals.
8. De-stress – Stress is one of the major factors which causes acne. So, try to de-stress yourself regularly. Below are some ways to release the stress from your body.
1. Play a sport
4. Read a good book
5. Practice yoga
6. Spend time in nature
7. Watch a nice comedy and laugh
9. Have a healthy diet – Avoid foods rich in sugar and salt. Eat whole grains instead of refined grains. A healthy diet keeps your skin healthy, soft, and bright. Add lots of leafy vegetables, whole grains, fruits to your diet. Pay close attention to the food you are eating.
10. Maintain hygiene – Maintain your skin hygiene by following a proper skincare routine. Wash your face at least twice a day, and keep your hair clean, free from dandruff. Use cosmetics that go well with your skin type. Don’t touch your acne repeatedly as it can aggravate the situation. Remove your makeup before you sleep.
11. Apply homemade face masks – You can prepare some face masks at home and apply them on your face. These face masks, made with easily available ingredients at home, will gradually improve skin health and reduce acne. Here are three face masks you can try at home.
1. Mash a papaya and apply it on your face. Gently wash it off after a while.
2. Mix a tablespoon of fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and a tablespoon of rose water and apply this mixture on the face. Leave it for few minutes and wash it off. You can replace rose water with 2 tablespoons of curd.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of gram flour to 2 tablespoons of yogurt and make a fine paste. Apply this paste on your face. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and wash it off.
12. Consult a dermatologist – Sometimes, acne might be too bad, and it is always a good idea to consult a dermatologist. A dermatologist might recommend a cream or some medicines to help you deal with the problem.
These are some tips to get rid of acne.
Having acne on face is frustrating, and you may want to get rid of the acne in one night. But we need to give time for the skin to heal. Live a healthy lifestyle, take good care of your skin and be patient. Follow the above rules, and results will definitely come when you work in a holistic manner. Work on systematically in a step by step manner.
Wish you good health!