We all love having healthy, thick, lustrous hair like those princesses and queens of the fairy tales. Healthy hair enhances the beauty and appeal of a person. When we get a new hairstyle with that bouncy hair, we feel good and happy. Haircare matters to us, and we use various products in daily life to take care of our hair.
However, in recent times, in spite of the flood of these hair products around us, many of us are going through hair loss. Hair loss has become one of the common problems of current times, and it is a concern for many people.
An average person’s scalp has 100,000 to 150,000 hair strands, and it is normal to lose 50 to 100 hair strands per day. So, don’t be alarmed when you see few hair strands on your hair comb or after you washed your hair. It is normal to lose these small quantities of hair every day. But when the hair loss is more than this normal quantity and leads to thinning of the hair, balding, patches, that’s the sign that hair loss is unhealthy, and the person has a hair loss issue.
So, what are the main factors that cause unhealthy levels of hair loss? Here are ten factors.
10 common causes of hair loss:
1. Stress: In the olden days, people were relaxed and lived life at a happy pace. But in current times, we all have a lot to do right from the moment we wake up, and we are short of time. We are doing multi-tasking, handling a lot of things, and leading a hectic lifestyle. We have many uncertainties to deal with. This constant running in life causes stress. When we take too much of stress daily, our scalp health gets affected, and hair loss happens.
2. Poor nutrition: When the food we eat is not balanced in nutrients, it causes hair loss. Our body needs nutrients like carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals in healthy proportions. If our daily diet predominantly consists of junk food or processed foods, it causes nutritional deficiency. Following food fads or diets which promise quick weight loss are also some reasons for poor nutrition.
3. Lack of quality sleep: Sleep is a basic need of our body and is also very important for healthy hair. Having 8 hours of sleep per day is our daily requirement. When we don’t sleep enough or our sleep is of poor quality due to various reasons like excessive usage of gadgets, social media, late-night parties, unhealthy lifestyles, etc., it leads to hair loss. Insomnia also causes hair loss.
4. Using products with toxic chemicals: Most of the hair care products like shampoos, gels, conditioners, hair dyes, etc. available in the market are filled with toxic chemicals that are very harmful to hair health. These chemicals are not only harmful for hair but also harmful to the overall body health. They might give good results in the short term like silky hair or bouncy hair, but in the long run, their usage leads to hair loss.
5.Lack of hair hygiene: When we don’t practice proper hair hygiene, it leads to hair loss. Some common hygiene mistakes related to hair are
1. Not washing hair regularly.
2. Not cleaning the comb regularly.
3. Using the comb of others – this frequently happens in salons or beauty parlours.
6.Vitamin and mineral deficiencies: Vitamins play an important role in keeping our body and hair healthy. Our body needs various vitamins like A, B complex, C, D, E, etc. In these times, we see many people going through two major vitamin deficiencies – Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D. When we have such vitamin deficiencies in our body, we experience hair loss. When you see abnormal hair loss, make sure you get your vitamin levels tested.
7.Medications: For some health issues, we might be using some medicines. Many medications have side effects, and one of the common side effects of using medicines is hair loss. So, check with your doctor on how to minimize this.
8.Medical conditions: When there are any medical issues like anemia, thyroid, diabetes, PCOD, etc., they impact the overall body health, and immediate effect is hair loss. Abnormal hair loss is an indicator of any of these medical conditions. So, get these tests done when you see too much hair loss.
9.Premature Aging: With the passage of time, body ages. Aging is a common aspect of life. However, if the aging rate is faster and premature, it leads to hair loss. Several factors like stress, unhealthy lifestyle, consumption of processed foods and sugar, lack of sleep, lack of exposure to Sunlight, etc. lead to premature aging.
10.Too much of hairstyling: We see many hair trends happening around, and it is fun to try them out. It is fun to color hair with the strange color combinations or blow-dry the hair every day for that wonderful hairstyle. But if we do too much of hair coloring or expose our hair to heat, it leads to hair loss. The usage of hair dryers leads to hair loss.
These are the 10 reasons why hair loss can happen.
All of us may not have the same reasons or all 10 reasons in our life, but even one of the above 10 reasons is enough to trigger hair loss. We cannot totally eliminate these factors, but at least we can try minimizing their presence in our life as much as possible. We can only wish for magic, but there is no magic formula that can stop hair loss. It is totally in our hands to minimize hair loss.
The easiest way to have healthy hair is to follow a healthy lifestyle. The food we eat, the amount of time we sleep, minimizing stress levels through yoga or meditation, our satisfaction levels in life – all these steps help us in building a healthy lifestyle and eventually hair health. The road to a healthy lifestyle starts with these small steps. Start your journey towards health today.