“If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.” – Bruce Lee
Free time – this is the time where we have the luxury to do anything. We can wake up anytime, sleep anytime, do anything. No restrictions. No timelines. No priorities. No to-do lists. It’s just free time, and we are free to use it in any way we want. Free time is a precious time in our life, and it is truly a luxury.
It’s easy to spend our free time. We can spend our time on social media, playing video games, browsing aimlessly, etc. for days and days altogether, but this may not be a wise investment of time. We gain nothing substantial out of these activities, and we regret later for spending our free time unproductively.
If we don’t plan how to use our free time productively, we waste it doing nothing. The way we use our free time matters if our priority is success in life.
Also, some of us might be bored and wondering how to spend our free time. We might be looking for ways to pass our time. These activities not only bring you happiness but also bring you good returns on the time and effort you invested.
Here is a list of 20 things you can do in your free time.
1. Books: Good books are great sources of information, new ideas, and thoughts. Read a page or two from an inspiring book. There is nothing like reading a great book from end to end in your free time if you can stick through.
2. Hobbies: Hobbies bring us joy and help us explore unknown dimensions of life. Pursue a hobby close to your heart. It could be singing, dancing, reading, writing, painting etc.
3. Nature: Nature holds all the secrets of life. Spend time in nature and learn from this lovely teacher. Nature also recharges and refreshes you. So, watch the Sunrise, gaze at stars, enjoy the full moon, hike a mountain, walk on green grass or just sit under a huge tree.
4. Learning: Learn something new that excites you. When you learn anything new, your mind stays sharp, and you feel joyful about life. You also stay young and add a new skill to your resume.
5. Exercise: Start exercising. This helps you stay fit and strong. Regular exercise brings you happiness and boosts your confidence levels. It also keeps your weight gain in check.
6. Family: Spend time with your family members. Talk to them, understand them, and give your time to them. Family is an important aspect of our lives. Use your free time to bond with your family members.
7. Service: Be a part of an NGO or a cause and spend your time in bringing a change in the world. Volunteering helps you learn new skills and brings you the joy and satisfaction of spreading positivity in the world.
8. De-clutter: Clean your home and desk. Remove all the unused and unwanted stuff from your home. This makes your home beautiful and clean. Not only that, but de-cluttering also relaxes your mind and brings you a sense of accomplishment.
9. Walk: Go for a walk. Walking is very beneficial for physical, emotional, mental health. Walk during those early mornings or after your dinner.
10. Meditation: Start your meditation journey. Meditation introduces yourself to you. You will discover a new dimension of life with meditation. Meditation sharpens your mind, de-stresses you, relaxes you, and makes you innovative.
11. Movies: Watch a good movie. Movies entertain us and help us relax. They are also a source of art, creativity, inspiration, and new ideas.
12. Personal care: Groom yourself. Take care of your skin, hair, and body. This makes you feel good about yourself.
13. Puzzles: Solve a puzzle. This sharpens your mind and brings you the joy of solving a problem.
14. Thank: Send thank you notes to people who impacted you positively. When you express gratitude, the other person knows how much you appreciate them, and feels happy. Thanking also makes you feel good about life.
15. Journal: Maintain a journal where you write down your ideas and perspectives about life. When you sit to write and start writing, new ideas flow through you.
16. Life skills: Daily chores like cooking, cleaning are life skills, and it’s worth learning them. They help you stay independent and gives you the confidence to handle daily living.
17. Build expertise: Spend more time on your area of interest and build your expertise. Experts are the most sought-after people because expertise is rare. An expert becomes an expert after spending years of time and effort on something they chose. Experts are not made in a day. Start building expertise in your area of interest.
18. Blog: Create your own blog and share your views with the world. Blogging is creative and can also bring you some pocket money when you do it in the right way.
19. Art: This is a great way to express your thoughts and emotions. You can paint or sculpt or create something. Indulge in art and discover your hidden talent.
20. Music: Music is recharging and brings joy. Immerse yourself in music either by listening or singing. You can also try your hands on a musical instrument like a guitar or violin.
These are some ways to spend your free time.
Remember, your free time is precious, and you cannot afford to spend it on activities which don’t matter to you in life. There is no concept like free time at all because our time is always precious and carries a certain value. Our time on this planet is limited, and it’s up to each one of us how we use it. We can make the most out of it by conscious choices, or we can just spend it unconsciously.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. – Theophrastus.