Creativity is one of the main factors which differentiate a human from an animal. Creativity means to create something new, and that something can be art, a movie, a software, a business, a new life. When the word creativity is used, many think only artists are creative. But all of us are gifted with creativity, and when we create something, we are creative. We are designed by the divine to create new things, and that’s why we feel happy when we create something like a new painting or a poem or a business.
This pursuit of creativity and newness is the reason why we love traveling or watching movies or buying new stuff. Basically, we humans yearn for newness in life because creativity brings us joy and excitement. When we operate from the zone of creativity, we forget time and space. We go into different dimension altogether.
Creativity is the foundation of many successful businesses. It brings joy and innovation. It adds the element of newness to life and makes life exciting. It is a popular myth that creativity comes by birth and cannot be learned. Creativity can be learned. We can train our minds to be more creative and add value.
Here are 9 tips to boost your creativity.
1. Spend time in nature: In nature, constant creation keeps happening like Sunrise, flowers, fruits, vegetables, changes in seasons, ocean waves, etc. There is so much newness in nature every moment. So, it’s no wonder that our creativity improves when we spend time in nature. Nature is the greatest source of creativity. Regularly spending time in nature is a great way to become creative.
“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” ~ Albert Einstein
2. Maintain a journal: Ideas flow through our brain. When we don’t make a note of these ideas, its very easy to forget them. So, maintain a journal and note down the ideas that you get. When you start writing down these ideas in a journal, your brain understands that new ideas are important to you, and it starts generating a greater number of new ideas.
“I can’t tell you where I would be if I hadn’t had a pen on hand to write down my ideas (or, more importantly, other people’s) as soon as they came to me. Some of Virgin’s most successful companies have been born from random moments. If we hadn’t opened our notebooks, they would never have happened.” – Richard Branson. He is the founder of the Virgin Group, which controls more than 400 companies across the world.
3. Relax your mind: It’s important to keep our mind in a relaxed state. It’s tough to be creative when we are stressed and worried. Our mind gets consumed by stress, and there is no space left to be creative. Thinking becomes a burden, and our creativity comes down. So regular de-stressing is important if we want to be creative. Below are some ways to de-stress.
3. Spending time in nature
4. Playing outdoor games
5. Planning life well
6. Delegating tasks
4. Exercise: Our body is designed for movement. It is not designed for a sedentary lifestyle. When we lead our life sitting and not moving, not many creative ideas can flow through us. If we want to boost our creativity, regular exercise is a great way. Some ideas to exercise are
1. Go for a walk
2. Work out
3. Keep moving throughout the day.
4. Take a 5 minutes movement break for every 30 minutes of sitting.
5. Do new activities: When we keep doing the same things repeatedly, the brain gets used to this and does not find the motivation to be creative. Life becomes mechanical and boring. So, try doing new activities. You can enroll in a new hobby or a course. Explore new areas of life and pursue them. The more newness you can bring into your life, the more creative you become.
6. Break the routine: We all have certain routines. We need to break these routines regularly and add newness to our day. We can cook new recipes or take a different road to our office or add a new habit in our life. When we bring freshness and newness into our day, it makes us creative.
7. Pursue a hobby: When we pursue a hobby, we enter into the zone of love and joy. We don’t pursue a hobby because someone is paying us, or we are under pressure to perform. We pursue our hobbies because we love doing them. We pursue hobbies for the sake of pure joy and expecting nothing out of it. This state is a great state to tap into creativity.
8. Keep learning: Many of us stop learning when we are out of college. The day we stop learning in life, our creativity levels come down. Irrespective of our age, we should invest some time daily in learning something new. We can watch YouTube or read or a book or enroll in a course or do something new. When we keep our learning curve alive, our creativity keeps growing. So, every day ask yourself a question – “have I learned anything new today?” If your answer is no, spend 5 minutes and learn something new.
9. Meditate: Meditation is a great way to boost your creativity. When you meditate regularly, you discover something new about you every day. We are all encyclopedias, but we don’t have time to know our own selves. Meditation helps us know who we are, and self-discovery is a great adventure. Also, meditation relaxes our mind and de-stress us. It sharpens the mind and brings in new ideas.
These are some tips to boost your creativity.
Only when we are creative, we feel joyful and excited about life. Without creativity, our life becomes boring and mundane. We miss the joy of life. So, get your creative juices flowing and explore the new dimensions of life. Create something fascinating and wonderful and enjoy this divine gift of creativity given to human beings.