Communication is an important aspect of our daily life. We communicate our thoughts and feelings and try to influence or create an impact around us. Communication is a bridge between our mind and the outer world. So, it is one of the important factors that determine the quality of our life. Be it having a happy marriage or a successful career or stress-free parenting; communication plays a key role.
We communicate through various means like our words, body language, actions, etc. Our choice of words impacts our communication. Words can inspire, influence and sell. So, how to use the right words to create a meaningful and impactful communication?
The book ‘magic words’ offers science and secrets behind seven words that motivate, engage, and influence people. This book is authored by Tim David. Tim David was a professional magician for 8 years and gave more than 300 live performances per year. Now Tim is focused on helping leaders and professionals become more effective and persuasive communicators. He presents more than 100 keynotes and trainings each year in addition to his audio programs, eBooks, and online training programs.
In this book, the author offers several real-life examples involving communication and how the use of magic words improves communication. He offers insights into human psychology, which helps us understand our own self and others in a better light. He gives practical application of the techniques, which makes this book all the more interesting and powerful.
So, how to communicate better? Below are the 6 communication tips derived from this great book.
1. The author reveals 7 magic words and why they are magic words. He also explains how to use these seven magic words in daily conversations. 7 magic words revealed are – ‘Because’,” Name of the person”, ’if’, ‘but’, ’absolutely’, ’thanks’, ’help’.
2. The word “yes” is ingrained deep in our psyche, and we all love hearing it. So, when you are trying to get something done by others, instead of giving statements, ask questions in such a way that other people can say yes. For example, when you want your teammate to send you a report, instead of saying, “Please send me the report,” you can ask, “can you please send me the report?”. This way of questioning makes your teammate say yes. When you can get someone to say yes to you, there are high chances that the other person will complete the task. The author cautions us not to overuse the word “yes” as it’s a powerful word and needs to be used wisely.
3. Our mind is programmed to pay attention to the sound of our name. For example, when you are walking in a busy street, and someone calls you by your name, your mind can notice it even amid various noises of the market. To a person, his or her name is important and matters greatly. So, when you want to make an impact on someone or communicate effectively, take the person’s name and communicate. Names are powerful, and it is easy to get the attention and focus of someone when we take the person’s name. Also, taking the name makes the other person feel important and valued.
4. Appreciation is important in any relationship. Sometimes, we don’t appreciate people around us due to the routine nature of jobs and life. But without appreciation, the other person feels undervalued, and it may lead to frustration and loss of productivity. Whether it is at the office or at home, appreciation matters. So, don’t forget to thank the people around you. Appreciate the people and give due recognition. Smiling more often is also a form of appreciation.
5. Use the word ‘but’ carefully in your communication. Misplaced ‘but’ can water down a powerful communication and rightly placed ‘but’ can boost the impact of communication. For example, when you praised someone for 1 hour and at the end used the word ‘but’ to give negative feedback, the effect of praise will be washed away, and it is as good as you never praised the other person. Instead of using the word ‘but,’ use the word ‘and.’
6. When you expect someone to do some task for you, give reasoning as to why they need to do the task. When you explain the reason and purpose behind a task, there are high chances that the other person gets motivated and works on the task. Just assigning the task to someone without giving any reason may not work well because humans are driven by purpose.
These are some communication tips drawn from this great book.
Communication is an inevitable aspect of our life, and our success rate in life depends on how effective our communication is. There are many businesses selling the same products more or less with small differences. But why do some businesses do extremely well while other businesses fail? Communication is one of the factors that play an important role in success. How you communicate with your employees on a regular basis impacts the productivity of the employee. How you communicate with your child determines how well you can influence your child towards doing the right things in life. How you communicate with your boss impacts your career growth. Effective communication is not just about the choice of words and body language. It is more than that. Understanding the emotions and feelings of the other person is at the heart of effective communication.
The author touches many subtle pointers about the subconscious mind and human psychology in this book. It is easy to overlook these aspects in daily life. He presents these facts with research findings and statistics. This book is nothing short of a thriller that uncovers many hidden aspects of human psychology and communication. It is a short book loaded with practical knowledge and powerful case studies.
If you are interested in understanding the hidden dimensions of human psychology and becoming a better communicator in daily life, check out this great book. The magician Tim David truly brings magic through this book.